Sunday, March 2, 2014
Anyone interested in visiting the varied and beautiful community of Wimberley should meet by 9 AM Wednesday, Mar. 12, in the Walmart parking lot in Seguin. We can group together to take as few vehicles as possible.
We will eat lunch in Wimberley and see as much as we choose, including art galleries, a Bonsai tree nursery named Jade Gardens, chainsaw and stone carving shops, antiques and curios, and of course, plenty of shopping.
Casual clothes and comfortable shoes are suggested. Call Kathy Lehmann (830 779-5101) or Janelle Hanneman (830 401-5999) with any questions. Lets enjoy the day and be inspired!
Wednesday, February 19, 2014
Click here for all the instructions and an entry form you can print and complete. Entry fees are $10 per piece for members and $15 per piece for non-members. Entry forms and fees must be mailed to SAL, P.O. Box 445, Seguin TX 78156 by Monday, March 10.
Deliver your entries between 10 AM and Noon Saturday, March 15, to the Selig Room, GRMC, 1215 E. Court St.
The opening reception will be Thursday, March 20, 5-7 PM, and everyone present will select artists to receive $100 first, $75 second, and $50 third place prizes.
Docents will be needed beginning Monday, March 17. The show will hang until pickup time between 10 AM and noon on Saturday, April 19.
Monday, February 17, 2014
Family, friends, and area art lovers crowded into the Selig Room at GRMC on Feb. 16 to see 89 pieces of artwork by 70 artists, 35 from middle schools and 35 from elementary schools. The artists came from Marion, LaVernia, Navarro, McQueeney, and these schools in Seguin: Briesemeister, Barnes, Saegert, Weinert, Rodriguez, Koennecke, Patlan, Jefferson, and a home school.
Alligator Dental and pediatric dentist Al Burns, DDS, sponsored this year's show and helped present cash awards to the winners present. The entire list of winners includes the following 1st through 8th graders:
Middle School Winners
- 1st place Noah Hinojosa, “Largemouth Bass,” 8th grader at A.J. Briesemeister
- 2nd place Bryan Valadez, “Paul the Octopus,” 6th grader at Saegert
- 3rd place Justin Ablin, “The White Squirrel,” 7th grader, home-schooled
- 4 Honorable Mentions --
· Roman Ruiz, “La Flor Naranja,” 8th grader at Barnes
· Tabitha Pruski, “The Hand,” 6th grader at Lavernia
· Matthew Gibson, “Spirograph,” 7th grader at Marion
· Abigail Perez, “The Muscle Box,” 6th grader at Saegert
Elementary School Winners
- 10 Special Achievements Awards --
· Logan Busskahl, “The Human Doll,” Vogel 3rd grader
· Tessa Pruski, “Sunset,” LaVernia 4th grader
· Brian Nevarez, “Lily Padz,” McQueeney 3rd grader
· Katalina Adams, “The Heart of Glory,” Rodriguez 1st grader
· Aiden Wittlesey-Adams, “Bush Under the Bridge,” Jefferson 3rd grader
· Peyton Silvius, “Sorbet Hibiscus,” Rodriguez 5th grader
· Daniela Ablin, “Platapus,” Weinert 5th grader
· Kari Sanchez, “Red Roses,” Patlan 5th grader
· Angela Styblo, “Ocean Life,” Koenneke 5th grader
· Alexander Ablin, “Raindrops in Winter,” Weinert 3rd grader
Click here to see photos of the artwork and the reception, including the craft project led by member Donna Maske that will continue in Central Park on Saturday, Feb. 22, as part of ArtsFest. To view the photos in a slideshow, click the down arrow V at the far right, and click Slideshow. The Play, Pause, and Stop controls will appear at the bottom of the screen.
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
The Awards Reception is Sunday, Feb. 16, from 3 to 5 PM, and refreshments will be served. The artist or a family member must be present at the reception to receive a cash prize. The public is invited.
Monday, January 13, 2014
Special Notice: Guest sponsors for this year's show and reception will be Dr. Al Burns, DDS, and the staff at Alligator Dental with offices in Seguin, New Braunfels, San Marcos, and Victoria! We all appreciate their participation and look forward to their part in our awards reception.
This year the student work will hang only one week, so put the dates on your calendar. The Awards Reception will be on the last day, Sunday, Feb. 16, from 3 to 5 PM. Awards and prizes will be presented beginning at 4 PM. The artist or a parent must be present at the reception to receive a cash prize.
Students must deliver up to two pieces of artwork to the Selig Room on Saturday, Feb. 8, between 10 AM and 12 noon and take their work home with them beginning at 5 PM immediately following the reception on Sunday, Feb. 16.
Click here to print instructions and an entry form you can complete and bring with you when you submit your art.
SAL members are urged to invite all the artists we know in the appropriate age group and then be sure to attend the awards reception. Here's a look at many of the winners from last year:
Saturday, December 7, 2013
In late November SAL Pres. Robin Walker and a delegation of SAL members attended the Seguin City Council meeting and presented a formal proposal: We want a 10-year agreement with the City to use the Matthies House as a community art center.
The house is located on Nolte Street on the southwestern edge of Walnut Springs Park and across from the location of the new public library. It will also be at the southern end of the hike and bike trail to be built from I10 to downtown.
We propose to include classrooms for children and adults, meeting rooms, space for special events both public and private, as well as a gallery and gift shop. The group planning construction of the trail recommend a restaurant or coffee shop, so we may include something like a tea room or sandwich shop, too, which would guarantee the building stays open during business hours without depending solely on volunteer staff.
Watch local news and reports at SAL meetings for further developments, and keep this project in your prayers.
Friday, December 6, 2013
Other winners included the following:
- Patricia Hanley, Second Place for her acrylic painting “I Think I Saw a Purple Cow.”
- Donna Maske, Third Place for her fiber piece “Woodland.”
- Roger Betschler, Honorable Mention for Raku “Escaped.”
- Donna Maske, Honorable Mention, clay “Tidal Pool.”
- Howard Crunk, Honorable Mention, oil painting “Untitled.”
Watch here to see photos of the reception, winners, and winning artwork taken by member Stephanie Parker.